September 11, 2023
Effective Dog Dental Care: Tips, Products, and Expert Advice | Pet Oral Hygiene
If only we could get our pets to brush their teeth regularly! Well you know that can't happen . . .
but we can help our dogs take care of their teeth and gums. They don't, of course, realize how important dental care is to their health (and maybe you didn't realize it either).
Following are some facts
about dental problems that may either be causing your dog discomfort right now or might soon affect your dog's health; we'll also give you some tips on treating those problems.
Gingivitis is a gum disease that occurs when gum tissue becomes inflamed.
If not treated, gingivitis will lead to periodontitis (described below); if it is not treated, gingivitis will cause your dog to start loosing teeth.
Periodontitis is an advanced gum disease that attacks not only the gums but also the bones that underlie the gums.
Commonly called periodontal disease, this is the most common dental problem for dogs.
Even relatively young dogs may have Periodontitis or the earlier-stage gum disease, gingivitis.
Imagine a year or two of buildup on your dogs teeth -- buildup of plaque, food particles and bacteria.
If your dog has gum disease you may not have to imagine it, you will probably be able to see a near-white substance coating the teeth and gums - that's the result of the bacteria.
Dogs love to gnaw on things like bones and when they do they might develop small breaks -fractures of their teeth.
Endodontic disease is the name for infections that develop inside these fractures.
Preventing the problems mentioned above is as simple as keeping your dog's teeth clean.
Clean teeth means less bacteria and less bacteria means less disease . . . and the extra bonus of no more 'doggie-breath.'
Brushing your dog's teeth:
The best way to keep your dog's teeth clean is by brushing them every day.
That may sound like an impossible task but it's really not.
Over time, if you approach it slowly and lovingly, your dog will accept tooth brushing as an enjoyable daily activity.
Important: If you think that your dog has gum disease or fractured teeth take the dog to a vet to have the condition treated and cleared up before you try brushing the teeth yourself.
If the dog has diseased gums, any attempt at tooth brushing may be painful and from then on the dog will associate tooth brushing with pain.
Ideally, you should start brushing a dogs teeth when it's a puppy.
As a puppy this will be more of a game than a threat and, over time, it will turn into an activity the puppy loves.
If your dog is older and has healthy looking teeth and gums, introduce it to a tooth brush by coating an old toothbrush with something the dog likes to taste; one suggestion is a paste made out of garlic salt and water.
Let the dog lick it and even chew on it for just a second.
The next day, the dog will recognize the tooth brush in your hand and come running over for another treat.
Gradually work your way into brushing it's teeth like that, day-by-day.
Eventually you'll need to get a toothbrush and toothpaste that is made specifically for pets; you'll find both in any good pet supply store.
It is especially important to find toothpaste that is made for pets; don't try to use toothpaste made for people.
Human toothpaste isn't intended for ingestion and since your dog can't 'spit it out' you need to get a toothpaste that won't make the dog sick when some amount is swallowed.
There are two types of pet toothbrushes,
one looks like a human toothbrush that is designed to brush a small child's teeth and the other is a finger brush.
A finger brush looks like a large thimble with a pad or bristles mounted on it.
Both types of toothbrush are fairly inexpensive so you may want to purchase one of each and see which one works best for you.
Either way, as long as the toothpaste tastes good to your dog, it won't mind you 'messing around' in it's mouth and, eventually, it will even look forward to the daily ritual.
Have your dog's teeth professionally cleaned.
If, for whatever reason, you don't want to or you can't brush your dogs teeth yourself, take it to a veterinarian and have the vet give the dog's teeth a professional cleaning.
The vet will sedate your dog and do all the necessary scraping and cleaning of the teeth while the dog is sleeping.
Give your dog a checkup. Its a great idea to give your dog's mouth a regular checkup.
You'll be looking for any broken, chipped or cracked teeth or any signs that the gums are not healthy.
If you see any problems, get the dog to a veterinarian as soon as you can.
Protect your dog's teeth. Sometimes dogs need to be protected from themselves.
A dog will chew on anything and the really hard things like some bones, rocks and other very hard items may eventually crack or break the dog's teeth.
Get rid of the hard stuff and buy your dog some softer chew toys.
Buy some mouthwash for your dog. Nope! Not kidding!
There are mouthwash products for dogs and just ignore that mental picture of trying to get your dog to gargle.
You just add some of the mouthwash to your dog's water dish and the mouthwash will not only improve your dog's breath, it will keep the do's teeth clean and free of tarter.
As you can see, dogs have dental problems that are very similar to human dental problems and they benefit from dental care just like we do.
For all the products suggested here for your dog's dental care, ask your veterinarian for his or her recommendations on the best products to use.
Your vet is your dog's doctor and should be trusted like you trust your own doctor.
Many veterinarians stress the importance of oral hygiene because tooth and gum problems are common medical conditions seen in pets.
If left unchecked, an unhealthy mouth can affect the liver, kidneys, heart and even the brain.
So when you lean in to give your pet a smooch, ask yourself Does my pet need a breath mint?
Studies show that 98% of pets with bad breath are suffering from severe plaque build up.
Bad breath not only means that your pet's mouth may be a warehouse for unhealthy bacteria, tartar and plaque, but it can also point to unhealthy intestines.
In addition, the quality of your pet's food can contribute to the status of your pet's breath.
Low quality food can cause digestive problems, thus promoting bad breath.
Can I Share My Toothpaste With My Pet? Absolutely not!
Pets aren't like us: they swallow whatever you use to clean their teeth. Human toothpaste simply isn't edible. Nor is the heavy minty flavor really desirable to pets. Human toothpaste can give your pet some serious stomach problems.
Did you know?
Certain breeds of dogs and cats are genetically predisposed to unhealthy teeth and gums?
For example, the Maltese is the number one dog breed with tooth and gum problems. In the cat world, the Siamese and the Abyssinian, charming as they are, have serious tooth problems and often get some of their teeth pulled during their youth.
Other factors include viruses, bacteria and not enough abrasive foods.
It all starts with the gums looking almost red, and some of the teeth coated with tartar.
When it comes to your pet's mouth, don't take anything for granted.
When you examine your pet, slowly open his mouth with your fingers and ask yourself the following questions:
Does his breath smell like he just raided a rotten fish market?
Are any of his canines or molars discolored (gray, brown or green)? (Keep in mind that a pet's teeth may be yellow due to early antibiotics like tetracyclineótotally)
Are his gums swollen and bright pink or angry red like a lobster with a sunburn?
Note that normal colored gums should be light to medium pink. For some dark colored cats and dogs, gums may be gray.
Do you see any sores on the gums, particularly if you have a cat?
They'll look like craters on the top or bottom gum or lip.
Are his bottom teeth worn down like the soles of a shoe?
Do you see any swelling or sores on his face around the lips, under the eyes or nose? Bad teeth can result in a manifestation of external sores.
If you have a puppy or a kitten, do you see any double teeth?
Is he drooling like a newborn? Keep in mind that some dogs always drool, like the St. Bernard. If your pet is experiencing excessive drooling but doesn't usually, it could indicate some problem.
Has he lost weight recently as a result of not eating enough?
It's also important to observe you’re pet's behavior as far as food is concerned.
Has your pet been approaching his food bowl reluctantly?
Has he been eating slower than usual and has he exhibited trouble biting hard things? Does your dog or cat cry during or after eating?
Does your cat have the tendency to pick up food, spit it out, pick it up again and finally throw it to the back with his tongue?
If you've nodded your head to two or more of any of the questions above, then it's clear that your pet has some dental health issues!
You must take your pet to your veterinarian right away for an oral examination.
Here are the 5 best dog toothbrushes for 2023
1. Jasper Dog Toothbrush: A Gentle and Effective Dental Solution for Your Furry Friend
I like the ergonomic design of the . This toothbrush will make this process a piece of cake, you don't need to worry about lining up the toothbrush again!
The Jasper Dog Toothbrush boasts several key features that make it a standout choice for pet owners:
- Ergonomic Design: This toothbrush is thoughtfully designed with an ergonomic handle, ensuring a comfortable grip for you during brushing sessions.
- Surround Bristles: The toothbrush is equipped with surround bristles that provide 360-degree coverage, making it easier to reach all areas of your dog's mouth, even those challenging back teeth.
- Gentle and Safe: The bristles are soft and gentle on your dog's gums and teeth, preventing any discomfort during brushing.
- Easy-to-Clean: After each use, the Jasper Toothbrush is easy to clean, ensuring hygiene and convenience for both you and your furry friend.
Benefits of the Jasper Dog Toothbrush:
Now, let's delve into the benefits of including the Jasper Dog Toothbrush in your dog's oral care routine:
- Effective Cleaning: The surround bristles effectively remove plaque and tartar buildup, reducing the risk of dental issues such as gum disease and bad breath.
- Gentle on Gums: The soft bristles are gentle on your dog's gums, making it a stress-free experience for both you and your pet.
- Ergonomic Handle: The ergonomic handle ensures that you have a secure and comfortable grip, allowing for precise and thorough brushing.
- Dental Health: Regular use of the Jasper Toothbrush promotes overall dental health, potentially saving you from costly vet bills down the line.
2. Amazon's Choice: Pamlulu Dog Toothbrush Stick: A Fun and Effective Way to Keep Your Pup's Teeth Clean
Pamlulu Dog Toothbrush Stick, a unique and innovative solution designed to make toothbrushing enjoyable for both you and your canine companion.
The Pamlulu Dog Toothbrush Stick is specifically designed to simplify the process of brushing your dog's teeth. Here are some of its notable features:
- Safe and Durable Material: The toothbrush stick is made from high-quality, pet-safe silicone material, ensuring your dog's safety during every use.
- 360-Degree Cleaning: The brush is covered in soft, bristle-like nubs that effectively clean your dog's teeth from all angles, reaching areas that are often hard to access.
- Easy-to-Hold Design: The toothbrush stick features a sturdy base that's easy for both you and your dog to grip, ensuring a comfortable and secure brushing experience.
- Mint Flavor: Infused with a mild mint flavor, the Pamlulu Toothbrush Stick helps freshen your dog's breath while they enjoy their brushing session.
Benefits of the Pamlulu Dog Toothbrush Stick:
Now, let's explore the benefits of incorporating the Pamlulu Toothbrush Stick into your dog's oral care routine:
- Stress-Free Brushing: Many dogs are apprehensive about traditional toothbrushes. The Pamlulu Toothbrush Stick turns toothbrushing into a playful activity, reducing anxiety and making it easier to maintain dental hygiene.
- Improved Dental Health: The 360-degree cleaning action effectively removes plaque and tartar, promoting healthier gums and preventing potential dental issues down the line.
- Fresh Breath: The mild mint flavor leaves your dog's breath smelling fresher, making cuddle time more enjoyable.
- Durable and Easy to Clean: The silicone material is not only safe but also easy to clean after each use, ensuring hygiene for your pup.
In our quest for the best dental care solutions for our beloved pets, the Pamlulu Dog Toothbrush Stick stands out as a fun and effective option. It makes toothbrushing an enjoyable activity for your pup, all while providing the essential dental care they need. With its durable construction and easy-to-clean design, it's a practical choice for busy dog owners.
If you're looking to simplify your dog's dental care routine and ensure their teeth and gums stay healthy and clean, give the Pamlulu Toothbrush Stick a try. Your dog will thank you with a brighter smile and fresher breath. Click the link below to make your purchase and take the first step toward improved canine dental health.
3. Vet's Best Dog Toothbrush & Enzymatic Toothpaste Kit
An amazon best seller with more than 40,000 ratings, the Vet's Best Dog Toothbrush and Toothpaste Set shines as a complete, effective, and enjoyable solution. It simplifies the process of maintaining your dog's dental health and prevents the development of painful dental issues.
The Vet's Best Dog Toothbrush and Toothpaste Set come with several features that set it apart in the market:
- Dual-Ended Toothbrush: The dual-ended toothbrush provides versatility, allowing you to clean both large and small teeth with ease.
- Finger Toothbrush: Included in the set is a finger toothbrush, perfect for those hard-to-reach areas and for introducing your dog to dental care gently.
- Enzymatic Toothpaste: The enzymatic toothpaste is specially formulated for dogs and helps break down and reduce plaque and tartar effectively.
- Flavorful Toothpaste: Dogs love the natural peanut flavor of the toothpaste, making the brushing experience more enjoyable for them.
Benefits of the Vet's Best Dog Toothbrush and Toothpaste Set:
Let's explore the benefits that make this dental care set a fantastic choice for your furry friend:
- Complete Dental Care: The set includes everything you need for comprehensive dental care, from thorough brushing with the dual-ended toothbrush to precise cleaning with the finger toothbrush.
- Effective Plaque Removal: The enzymatic toothpaste tackles plaque and tartar build-up, promoting healthy gums and reducing the risk of dental issues.
- Peanut Flavor: Dogs adore the natural peanut flavor, which encourages them to look forward to their daily dental routine.
- Easy to Use: The toothbrushes are easy to handle and maneuver, making the brushing process simple and stress-free for both you and your dog.
4. Emmi®-pet 2.0 Electric Toothbrush Oral & Skin Care Set for Pets
The Emmi-pet Ultrasound Toothbrush is packed with cutting-edge features that make it a standout choice for pet owners:
- Ultrasound Technology: This toothbrush uses ultrasound waves to effectively and gently remove plaque and bacteria from your pet's teeth and gums.
- Nano-Bubble Toothpaste: The Emmi-pet Toothbrush comes with a specially formulated toothpaste that creates tiny nano-bubbles, further enhancing the cleaning process.
- Silent Operation: Unlike traditional toothbrushes, this ultrasound toothbrush operates silently, reducing stress for both you and your pet.
- No Brushing Required: The ultrasound technology does the work for you, eliminating the need for vigorous brushing.
Benefits of the Emmi-pet Ultrasound Toothbrush:
Now, let's delve into the benefits that make this dental care solution a game-changer for your beloved pet:
- Non-Invasive and Gentle: The ultrasound waves provide a gentle and non-invasive cleaning process, making it ideal for pets who may be sensitive to traditional brushing.
- Efficient Plaque Removal: The ultrasound technology effectively eliminates plaque and bacteria, reducing the risk of dental issues and promoting overall oral health.
- Stress-Free Experience: The silent operation and lack of brushing make dental care a stress-free experience for both pets and their owners.
- Long-Lasting: The Emmi-pet Toothbrush is built to last, offering long-term dental care for your pet.
5- Arm & Hammer Dog Toothbrush Kit: A Complete Dental Care Solution for Your Canine Companion
This kit is amazing because it includes a dual sided toothbrush AND a finger brush, as well as a tube of enzymatic toothpaste enhanced with baking soda. A one-stop shop for freshening breath and keeping the plaque and tartar in your dog's mouth cleaner than ever.
The Arm & Hammer Dog Toothbrush Kit offers a range of features that make it a top choice for pet owners:
- Dual-Head Toothbrush: The kit includes a dual-head toothbrush designed to clean both large and small teeth effectively.
- Fingerbrush: In addition to the toothbrush, you'll find a fingerbrush that allows for more precise cleaning, especially in those hard-to-reach areas.
- Enzymatic Toothpaste: The kit includes enzymatic toothpaste formulated with baking soda to break down and remove plaque and tartar effectively.
Benefits of the Arm & Hammer Dog Toothbrush Kit:
Let's explore the benefits that make this dental care kit a fantastic choice for your canine companion:
- Complete Dental Care: The kit includes everything you need for a comprehensive dental care routine, from thorough brushing with the dual-head toothbrush to precise cleaning with the fingerbrush.
- Effective Plaque Removal: The enzymatic toothpaste with baking soda efficiently tackles plaque and tartar buildup, promoting healthy gums and reducing the risk of dental issues.
- Baking Soda Freshness: Arm & Hammer's baking soda toothpaste leaves your dog's breath smelling fresher, making cuddle time more enjoyable.
- Ease of Use: The toothbrushes are easy to handle and maneuver, ensuring that dental care is a stress-free experience for both you and your dog.
Dental care is an important part of caring for your pet.
Just like humans, dogs have teeth that can cause problems if they are not cared for with a proper dental routine. You may have already noticed, but dogs can suffer from bad breath just like humans can.
Your vet is an important part of this dental care. Ask your vet to show you how to brush your pets' teeth properly.
Your vet knows how to brush their teeth properly so your beloved pet doesn't get gum disease or any of the other conditions associated with poor oral hygiene.
You are going to need to spend some time finding the right toothbrush for your dog.
You can use a child's toothbrush ñ but it is recommended that you rather buy a special toothbrush for your pet.
It will make brushing easier and will be worth the money.
To buy a toothbrush you can visit your vet or local pet supply store. You might be surprised to see how many variations of pet toothbrushes and toothpaste's there are.
Rather ask for help if you are not sure about what kind to get.
There are some rules for choosing the best brush for your dog. You need to make sure that the bristles are soft so they don't damage the dog's gums.
You also need to make sure you choose the right sized brush (just make sure its' not too big or too small for your dogs mouth).
Lastly check that the handle is big enough for you to comfortably get a grip on the toothbrush.
You cannot use human toothpaste on your dog. Rather use a special high quality toothpaste with ingredients specially formulated for dogs.
You need to spend some time choosing your toothpaste too. Cheaper brands might use ingredients that are harmful to your pet, and there are some common ingredients can make your pet sick.
Read the labels carefully and check that the toothpaste does not contain salt, detergents or enzymes as these are dangerous for your pet.
There is a huge choice at most pet supply store's so ask for help and read the labels carefully.
Brushing your dogs' teeth for the first time can be difficult; especially if they are not used to it.
This can be avoided by starting when they are puppies ñ but if it's too late for that don't worry.
The key is to be gentle, speak in a soft voice and do not force the dog.
He must learn that it is not a big deal.
Start from the back of the mouth and work your way forward in small circular motions.
If your dog really does not want to allow you to brush his teeth without a fight you can use a towel first.
Try rubbing his teeth so he gets used to the sensation as well as your fingers in his mouth. Speak encouragingly and softly; you can even sing a little tune to calm him down.
After a few patient weeks the dog should allow you to brush his teeth without any hassles.
You should be brushing your dogs' teeth daily; but if you can't manage that ñ once every second day should be fine.
It's important that you start too see your dogs mouth as your own.
By doing this you will ensure that your dogs' teeth will last well into old age; and of course his dog breath will improve.
Does your dog's breath stink?
Unfortunately, routine dental cleanings at your vet can be both expensive and dangerous...
Gum Disease can lead to
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Failure
- Liver Disease
It's shame that most dog owners don't realize that dental hygiene is as important for their dogs as it is for themselves.
Teeth that have been neglected are subject to several types of mouth disease just like their human friends.
We know that if we don't brush our teeth, plague will build up and eventually cause tooth decay.
The same thing happens to dogs. When plaque builds up and hardens, it becomes a coarse brown substance called tartar.
As tartar accumulates, it can work its way under the gums and cause painful infections and gum disease.
This goes on in the mouths of dogs just as it does in people. You brush your teeth every day, probably three times, but your dog depends upon you for his dental hygiene.
Before jumping into any conclusions, if you are going the do it your self route, please just make sure about dosing the ingredients your going to be using, you don't want to upset your pups stomach or cause your dog any diarrhea for adding too much of any odor masking ingredient.
If you were for any reason unable to brush your dogs teeth, you can use any of the best dog dental sprays listed below.
1- Zesty Paws Dental Spray for Dogs
What you might not realize, is that bad smell is likely a sign of dental disease, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association, 70%-80% of pets show signs of dental issues by age of 3.
The premium pet dental spray works at enzymatic level so you can be sure that it quickly eliminates the root cause of bad pet breath, periodontal disease plus plaque and tartar build up.
- Works at the enzymatic level, quickly eliminating the ROOT CAUSE of bad pet breath
- 100% Hypoallergenic
- Neem Oil-free
Easy To Use
- Just add 3-5 sprays into your pet's water bowl AND 2-3 sprays along their gums and teeth (both sides). PETS LOVE THE TASTE so it's easy to apply.
- Ingredients: Purified water, Aloe Vera extract, peppermint, spearmint, glycerin, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, baking soda, and stevia.
- Works at an enzymatic level to deal with the root cause of dental problems and bad breath.
- Can be used directly in your dog's mouth, added to their water or both.
- Non-toxic and alcohol free
2- Leba III Pet Dental Spray - 100% Natural and Herbal Dog and Cat Dental Spray
- Ingredients: Mints, roses, ethyl alcohol, distilled water
- Works on the enzymes to change mouth chemistry
- Requires 1 – 2 sprays twice a day depending on the weight of your pet
- Can also be used for cats
This is an excellent product for keeping your dogs mouth healthier. I personally have used this product on my dog. Scruffy suffers from stomach issues which affected her breath, after her operation the bad breath didn't really go away and this product helped so much. Using the Leba III Pet dental spray will always keep your best friend from having expensive dental cleanings.
However, to get maximum results theres a way to use the Leba III Pet Dental Spray. If you don't follow the directions exactly, it will severely impact the effectiveness of this product."Give your pet no water or food or anything that could dilute Leba III, 30mins before and 30mins after treatment. Prevent grooming after treatment so that Leba III will remain in the mouth." Example: If you want to spray your pet's teeth at 9am, take away the food and water at 8:30am and don't put them back out until 9:30am.
I would highly recommend this product for any cat or dog with severe dental issues, or for just once-a-day use for dental maintenance.
3- Arm & Hammer for Pets Tartar Control Dental Spray for Dogs
The Arm & Hammer Dog Dental Spray comes equipped with several features that set it apart:
- Natural Ingredients: This dental spray contains natural ingredients, including baking soda, which effectively neutralizes odors and helps break down plaque and tartar.
- Easy Application: The spray nozzle allows for easy and convenient application to your dog's teeth and gums.
- Minty Freshness: Arm & Hammer's dental spray leaves your dog's breath smelling minty fresh, making cuddle time more enjoyable.
- Supports Dental Health: Regular use of this dental spray can help maintain your dog's dental health, reducing the risk of gum disease and bad breath.
Benefits of the Arm & Hammer Dog Dental Spray:
Now, let's explore the benefits that make this dental spray a must-have for dog owners:
- Fresh Breath: Arm & Hammer's dental spray effectively combats bad breath, providing relief for both you and your furry friend.
- Easy Application: Applying the dental spray is a breeze, making it a stress-free addition to your dog's daily routine.
- Dental Health Support: The natural ingredients help break down plaque and tartar, promoting healthier gums and reducing the risk of dental issues.
- Minty Flavor: Dogs appreciate the minty flavor, making it more likely that they'll accept the dental spray as part of their routine.
5-Bodhi Dog Large Natural Dog Breath Freshener: The Key to a Happy Pup with Fresh Breath
The Bodhi Dog Large Natural Dog Breath Freshener boasts several features that make it a standout choice for pet owners:
- Natural Ingredients: This breath freshener is made from a blend of natural ingredients, including peppermint oil and rosemary extract, to tackle bad breath at its source.
- Large Size: The larger size of this product is ideal for bigger dog breeds or households with multiple dogs.
- Easy-to-Use Spray: The convenient spray nozzle allows for easy application to your dog's teeth and gums.
- Oral Health Support: Regular use of this breath freshener not only freshens breath but also supports your dog's oral health by reducing the growth of bacteria.
Benefits of the Bodhi Dog Large Natural Dog Breath Freshener:
Now, let's dive into the benefits that make this breath freshener a must-have for pet owners:
- Fresh Breath: Bodhi Dog's breath freshener effectively combats bad breath, making cuddle time more enjoyable for both you and your furry companion.
- Natural Ingredients: The use of natural ingredients ensures that your dog's breath is freshened without the use of harsh chemicals or additives.
- Oral Health Support: Beyond just freshening breath, this product contributes to better oral health by reducing the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Convenience: The easy-to-use spray allows for quick application, making it a hassle-free addition to your dog's daily routine.
If you aren’t taking care of your dog’s teeth right now, don’t feel bad…
You’re not alone! According to The American Animal Health Association, almost two out of three of pet owners don’t provide basic dental care recommended by their veterinarians.
Considering four out of five dogs over the age of 4 already have some sort of periodontal disease, it's imperative to be proactive when it comes to the health of your dog's teeth.
Points to remember:
Use recommended dosage and apply the spray or gel to into the pet’s mouth, directly on the gumline if possible to speed up results.
Gel Tips: Apply gel onto fingers and wipe onto the animals teeth and gums.
Even wiping on the outside of your animals lips will do the trick as they will naturally want to lick it off. For cats, you may dab gel on top of their paw as they will lick it off as well.
Spray Tips: For best results, hold animals lip up and spray directly onto the gum line. Do not worry if you cannot spray gum line directly as the product will still work with the saliva as the animal licks it around.