The obvious advantages of getting an adult dog eliminates the amount of time and attention it takes to housetrain, although depending on the breed and age of the adult dog, the benefits are multiple.
Let’s take a look at the reasons why.
* One of the most advantageous benefits of getting an adult dog is that they have an established personality.
* They will not require as much time and attention as a puppy.
* You can choose an adult dog whose personality is suitable to your own.
* Adopting an adult dog from a shelter ensures they have been spayed or neutered.
* You won’t have to worry about an adult dog creating havoc in your home.
* Most adult dogs will adapt more easily to a schedule.
* An adult dog will not need to be taken out as frequently as a puppy.
* Choosing an adult dog is choosing a companion.
* You can train adult dogs more easily than puppies.
* There are more adult dogs available for adoption than puppies.
* Depending upon the breed you choose, an adult dog may be more appropriate for children.
* You can leave the dog alone, especially if you work outside the home.
* Most adult dogs have been trained in some form or another, making it easier for them to adapt to new surroundings.
* Since adult dogs are fully checked by a vet, they are more apt to be healthier than puppies.
* An adult dog will bond more quickly with its owner.
* They may also understand certain commands from the outset.
With the adult dog population on the upsurge, adopting one from a shelter is literally saving a life. While first time pet owners may wish to acquire a puppy, you may not find as many in shelters as you would find adult dogs.
If you can take a moment to look at it from a dog’s perspective, they may have been neglected by their owners, or perhaps the owners can no longer take care of them. This can leave them depressed and lethargic. Living in a shelter is neither pleasant nor conducive to a dog’s emotional state of mind.
If you’ve ever gone to a shelter, you may have noticed when you walk by cage after cage that some dogs become excited, often press their noses up against the cage or try to reach out with their paws. Others may just sit in a corner and look up with sad eyes.
Adopting an adult dog, taking him home and caring for him is all he requires, and the rewards are immeasurable. There are so many breeds whose personalities are unique.
The advantages of getting an adult dog are many, but the bottom line is that you are not only offering them a permanent home, but giving them the opportunity to live out their life in a safe and loving environment.