This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links at no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more info. Clicking any of the links on this website does not increase the cost or affect the price for any item you purchased. Our main purpose is for informational purpose and not for just earning.
According to the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp is no longer a controlled substance. This has led to increased use of cannabis and the growth of the cannabis industry. Thirty-three of the states in the US have legalized marijuana. Everyone has discussed the effect of cannabidiol (CBD) on humans, but what about our pets?
CBD has become a popular cure for treating various ailments and managing pain in humans and in animals. However, is it safe for pets? Only a few studies and research have been conducted on this, so let’s discuss the benefits and risks of using CBD to treat pets.
Benefits of CBD
Just like we have an endocannabinoid system, so do our pets. Because of this, CBD can work its magic and treat many things. CBD has many of the same benefits for pets as it does for humans. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of CBD for our furry friends.
● CBD helps with anxiety and stress. It lowers the stress levels, and if you give your pet CBD, it will reduce any stress they have or if they’re experiencing separation/social anxiety.
● CBC can trigger the receptors in your pup’s brain that will stimulate their appetite. It can decrease any symptoms of nausea they might be facing and also relax their central nervous system to improve their appetite. This makes eating easier, especially on days your pup is feeling unwilling.
● It also decreases pain and inflammation, which can be due to auto-immune diseases.
● CBD is great for preventing seizures or epilepsy. According to a recent study, CBD oil was helpful in reducing seizures in 89% of dogs.
● CBD is great for repairing the skin barrier so it soothes many skin conditions. Allergens and bacteria can have an effect on your pet, but CBD can help lessen the effect.
● You can give CBD products to your pets, so they keep calm, especially when there are loud fireworks or thunderstorms. It helps with noise irritation or phobias.
Potential Risks of CBD for Dogs
CBD barely has any risks or safety hazards for dogs or cats. It is incredibly safe, and according to research, there are no dependency problems or substance abuse issues that have surfaced. However, there are certain instances of dogs feeling sleepy or becoming sedated after large doses of CBD. But these effects disappear or resolve with time.
Doctors and vets always encourage pet owners to only give CBD to their furry friends after consulting with them. Only inappropriate dosages should CBD be given to anyone as a form of treatment. You have to slowly introduce it and then increase the dosage accordingly.
If you want to buy CBD oil for your dogs, you can get it at our online store Scruffy the Dog. We also have small dog toys, essential small dog accessories, and on our blog, you can find dog grooming tips. Check us out today or contact us to learn more.